Templeton Rye Western Iowa Onion Soup
1/4 cup Butter
8 (approx. 3 lbs.) Onions, sliced
2 cloves Garlic, sliced
1 cup Templeton Rye
2 cups Canned low-salt chicken broth
4 cups Canned beef broth
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
8 sprigs Fresh thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
Toasted bread slices 1 cup Grated Swiss cheese
1/2 cup Grated parmesan or provolone cheese
1. Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add onions and garlic and saute until very tender and brown, about 45 minutes.
3. Add Templeton Rye and simmer until reduced to glaze, about 3 minutes.
4. Stir in chicken broth, beef broth, mustard and thyme and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
NOTE: The above can be prepared ahead of time. Refrigerate. Return soup to simmer before next step.
6. Preheat broiler.
7. Ladle soup into broiler-proof bowls.
8. Top each with a slice of toast and grated cheeses.
9. Broil until cheeses melt and bubble.